25 June 2014

Review Series: Sun Protection #1





Left to Right: Murad, Bioderma, L'Occitane

I have no idea where to start when it comes to SPF. All I know is that I need it to be the perfect consistency and not interfere with the rest of my make up for it to encourage me to use it everyday - and it also has to be effective. You really can't question the importance of incorporating some sort of sun protection in your routine, and this page by the Skin Cancer Foundation is a great place to start. Luckily enough, I've come across these 3 sun protection products that might make your search a bit easier for the coming rays.

Murad Perfecting Day Cream SPF 30 (£39 from John Lewis)
The good thing about this one is that it's also a moisturiser, so it'll be easy to incorporate in your existing routine. I've reviewed its features as a moisturiser on this blog post. Briefly though, I find it incredibly hydrating as well as quite emollient - as you can see, it's the thickest of the three - so I'd recommend it for people with drier skin or with dehydration. In terms of suncare, it's Broad Spectrum, which means it protects against both UVA and UVB rays - it has SPF 30 (which protects against UVB) and PA+++ (which I think protects against UVA, which is the main cause of aging etc., from the sun). As to packaging, I love it. The spout is huge and the squeezy tube is perfect for ease of use.

Bioderma Photoderm Spot SPF 50 (£15.50 RRP - £10.33 from Escentual)
This is probably my favourite of the lot due to its consistency - it's virtually undetectable after you apply it on the skin. It's neither heavy and creamy, nor light and greasy, and just seems to disappear onto your skin. I've never known a facial suncreen that is so comfortable to wear! In addition to having both UVA and UVB protection, this one was picked out for me because it has extra protection for people with damaged skin, like my acne scarring. Again, the packaging is super practical and I would truly recommend this to anybody.

L'Occitane Jenipapo Face Protection Veil SPF 30 (£26 - from L'Occitane)
This one is from L'Occitane's recent Brazil collection (blog post here), and also has the UVA and UVB protection. It's a super light consistency that initially feels like it might be greasy, but when you blend it in, it is also virtually undetectable. It softens the skin more than Bioderma though, as it also doubles as a moisturiser but I prefer to use a moisturiser under it anyway - it'd be great on its own for oilier skins as the finish is quite natural anyway. As with many L'Occitane products, it has a strong smell - this one is like the classier, more flowery version of those Escada summer perfumes. I'd say this one probably has a teensy bit of a white cast. I'm not a massive fan of the packaging, as I feel like it's quite runny so most people wouldn't dispense too much on the first squeeze - while you apply the first squeeze, you'd want to just place the bottle down without worrying about the product spilling, but I'm always afraid it'll start dripping on its side. It hasn't happened yet, but I feel like maybe a pump would've been wiser..

Yu

No comments:

Post a Comment