Review: ELF Mineral Eyeshadows and Blush


As you guys may know, I'm a bit of a nervous wreck around loose products. My balance is good, my hand eye coordination is good but there's just something about loose powders that make me.. nervous.

But I thought I'd give these a shot anyway! These are some of the products from ELF's mineral line. From the far back is the Caffeinated and Golden eyeshadow and Rose blush.

Top to Bottom: Rose, Caffeinated and Golden.

As you can see, you can't fault the pigmentation - they are absolutely gorgeous. I especially like the blusher shade, as it looks like such a natural flush, and the sheen on the eyeshadows are just phenomenal!

My least favourite was Caffeinated, as I found it was a struggle to blend. I put my brush down and dragged, but most of the product seemed to stay where the brush hit the skin, and no matter how much I pulled down, it wouldn't budge and it ended up in me adding more product on. I think you can see that the right half of the swatch is very faint.

Golden is a pretty standard gold, very sheeny and gorgeous! It was also not too much of a pain to blend, just a bit of fall out really but the staying power was great if used on top of a base like MAC's Soft Ochre Paint Pot.

Rose - now this one is a true winner! The shade is so natural, the finish is so soft! But the problem with this one is that you really need the right brush. I found that the MAC 109 laid down too much product and didn't blend well, and I found that a typical powder brush was the same. The best brush, I found, was the MAC 130 - a short, duo-fibre brush, which picked up enough product evenly (as it's flat) and the bristles were soft enough to blend it. This gave an astonishing finish - shot the blush up to "never used" to one I reach for quite often now!

The staying power, pigmentation and colour is unquestionable, they're great! And for £3/£3.50, it seems the only thing I'd say is to have the right brush for the blush and prepare for fall-out with the eyeshadows. So I'd say if you like loose products you would love these - they are great value for money, and very high quality. That being said, if you are a nervous wreck around loose powders like me, these will be no different from most other experiences - but the key seems to be in the brushes :)

Do you like loose powder products?
How do you feel about the ELF mineral line? :)

You can buy these from the ELF Cosmetics UK site (or the US site): eyeshadows from here, and the blushers from here.
<3yu

*Received for consideration.

Comments

  1. I feel the same about loose powdered products - they're so annoying/hard to control I avoid buying them! The blusher is lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy loose powders but I don't think I've ever bought loose products except those BarryM Dazzle Dusts! :P

      Delete
  2. I did have that blush but got rid of it in my blog sale as I just never used it. They all look very pretty though. The e/s look pretty similar to the two Inlgot shimmery ones I picked up last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I saw it on your blog sale, which inspired me to try it out one more time after I got your brush! XD

      Delete
  3. They all look very pretty but I make enough mess as it is with pressed powders never mind the loose stuff!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I know what you mean! I do like loose face powders but they do require some trial & error! :P

      Delete
  4. I have bliss in the blusher and its amazing. The mineral range complexion brush is great for mineral make-up!


    http://thefashiondistrictnlc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo what kinda shade is that? :) I have the mineral eyeshadow brush and it's great!

      Delete
  5. I've been pretty disappointed with ELF's mineral loose products - but i've only tried the foundation and the blemish kit. The shadows must look lovely foiled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I was thinking of getting those two - what was wrong with them? Ooo I haven't tried that but I should! Foiled eyeshadows are so gorgeous, but I'm not the best at it.. haha I need practice I suppose!

      Delete
  6. I get nervous around loose pigments too. I think there are some great staying power to a number of their products. I even bet in a blind test they'd win out over many others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that would be interesting really! I'm sure there are lots of products that people don't buy from ELF because it's so affordable :)

      Delete
  7. Wow the gold looks absolutely gorgeous.
    They had a promotion a while ago where they were giving out 10 of them with a purchase of blah blah $.
    I was going to but I ended up not doing it XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wowo 10?! Haha Idk if I would either, I didn't even know they had 10 different shades!

      Delete
  8. I swear loose powder products will be the death of me...I had a loose translucent powder a couple years ago that ended up being dropped on my black carpet (that didn't go over well with my mom) so I've vowed to stay away from them!

    But something about the e.l.f. mineral line intrigues me (I swear it has to be the price)!

    The eyeshadows look pretty eh, I mean, they're nice colors but who's going to fuss with them in the morning, certainly not me! Have you tried applying them wet to help with the fallout issue?

    I LOVE the look of the Rose, its truly stunning with your skin tone! I'm tempted, but again, I'd just never be able to forgive myself if I dropped it with all my past loose powder trauma haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I don't blame you after that, fortunately I haven't had that happen to me yet! Applying them wet would be a great idea, I should definitely try that! :)

      I hope you get over your trauma because Rose really is gorgeous! ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts