Let's Compare: Laura Mercier Secret Concealer vs. Bobbi Brown Corrector

Undereye darkness and circles can be a person's worst nightmare - they can instantly drag your face down, and they are a constant reminder of last night's restless sleep, that one last drink you shouldn't have had or that thing that's been occupying your mind for the past month. I am all too familiar with my under eye circles - more than I wish I was!

This has led me to try several under eye correctors, but two struck me as incredibly similar - the Laura Mercier Secret Concealer and the Bobbi Brown Corrector. After finishing the Bobbi Brown one, and having a go at the Laura Mercier one, I thought it might be valuable to do a bit of a comparison to help you make up your mind :)


Packaging
Hands down, Bobbi wins this round. Bobbi's is a miniature compact that is slim and will fit any make-up bag or pouch without taking up too much space. Not only that, it has a mirror that I found incredibly useful because you do want to perfect the undereye as it's so easy to make it look cakey and fake. This is one of my favourite things about this product - in fact, I've kept the packaging cuz it's just generally so handy for the make-up bag!

Laura Mercier's packaging is incredibly tedious. It's a screw top which means 1, you spend more time opening it and 2, you have to find a place to put the lid. It's just a bit of a faff by all accounts, even if you aren't comparing it to Bobbi's!

Colour Range
Bobbi's comes in 12 shades, and Laura's in 6. Bobbi's may seem like the winner here, but in actuality, her range has lots in the light to medium category but the darkest shade really isn't very dark. For Laura Mercier, the intervals may be bigger, but the range itself is wider.

Price
Bobbi's is £18 for 1.4 grams, and Laura's is £18.50 for 2.2 grams. Again, not a straight-forward win for Laura though. In my opinion, you are paying for the incredibly useful packaging of Bobbi's, which is something to consider as it may encourage to use or travel with it more. Personally, my Bobbi Brown one lasted me a good year and a few months which for me, is long enough for £18 especially since I'm quite fickle and like trying new things after I finish products - but that's just me!



Formula
Ahh, the all important formula! Unfortunately, this is where it becomes neck and neck - they're incredibly, incredibly similar. Laura Mercier (as you may be able to see) has a bit of a pastey, sticky nature, making it slightly tacky, while Bobbi's is quite thick and creamy and ever so softer, more hydrating but slightly heavier than Laura's. The coverage is also pretty much the same. In terms of lasting power, I think Laura wins by just a bit I guess because it sticks on your skin. So really, I think I prefer the effect Laura Mercier's, but the consistency of Bobbi's - which is where the other aspects become very important.

In both of these, I find the best result is by using a concealer brush - finger often apply too much with such thick, unblendable formulas, and are better off for patting it in rather than applying! I would not touch Laura's with a finger though, but Bobbi's is manageable if you don't have a brush. They're both difficult to blend, and should be used in a patting/dabbing motion and by building coverage in sections. 

My verdict?
It's crazy but I'm seriously not sure! The packaging is a huge weight for me in this case because I found it so useful, which makes me want to go with Bobbi Brown, but the formula is just ever so slightly better from Laura Mercier - and that's what should really matter, right? For me, Laura Mercier has a slight edge but I'll always have a soft spot for Bobbi's packaging and hydration - should I perhaps depot some Laura Mercier into my old Bobbi?!

Ultimately, I think it'll come down to the shade. In the case of correcting/concealing, it's easier to deal with a better colour match than a better formula, as I found out when the Bobbi Brown wouldn't match my skintone and look horrible! When I run out of my Laura Mercier one, I'll choose which one to repurchase depending on which one has the product that matches my skintone the best. Otherwise, it's some serious swings and roundabouts!

Have you tried either of these correctors?
What is your favourite corrector?

You can get these from various retailers including Debenham's for Bobbi Brown (currently on sale for £16.20), House of Fraser for Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier, and SpaceNK for Laura Mercier.

<3yu

Comments

  1. I love the Bobbi Brown concealer... must try the Laura Mercier ones, just to compare to of them :) x Marina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reviews! I own the Bobbi Brown but find that it can settle in my fine lines as it is sooo creamy. But it does wonders in concealing my dark circles. I use it in Peach which is too dark during my pale NC25 winter months. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend the Laura Mercier one, it's just that bit lighter so it might help with the lines :) I used it in Peach too, and had to avoid it during winter!

      Delete
  3. Great review. I absolutely swear by the Bobbi Brown concealer but now I'm intrigued by the Laura Mercier one as well. I guess I will be in the same predicament as you when mine runs out. Which to pick! haha

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha exactly! They're really similar in results, but very different in packaging and consistency.. if you're in love with either of those, I think it may be worth sticking to Bobbi Brown! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the Bobbi Brown one. The light bisque shade suite me to a T and it's always a repurchase on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I do love finding repurchase-worthy products! :)

      Delete
  5. Oooh, these do sound so good, thank you so much for comparing them too. I really need to try both out (and then I guess come up with a decision myself)! I haven't tried a proper under eye concealer yet and my bags are truly upsetting too much of the time. Think I'll be doing some useful shopping soon :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, you should have a swatch and see which formula you prefer :) Definitely one of the most useful/productive products to have imo!

      Delete
  6. I've got the Laura Mercier one which I love but sometimes I think it can make my under eye area look a bit dry even with an eye cream underneath! Would you say the Bobbi Brown one wouldn't do this as it's more hydrating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - I'd definitely give Bobbi Brown a go, it's definitely more emoliating (is that even a word?!) - whether it's more hydrating I'm not sure as it's a cream as well at the end of the day! :)

      Delete
  7. You are such a package ho! I've always been interested in how the two compare as I wasn't overly impressed by BB! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What shade do you use for the laura mercier concealer? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts